Thursday, February 13, 2014

Student need to LIKE Social Studies!

I feel social studies is the most important class students should take if it is taught the right way. We shouldn't focus on the facts and dates in the curriculum, but the skills and critical thinking that needs to be done by students to be successful.
I really don't care if students don't remember much of what I teach them, but reach an understanding that we are what we are because of the people and events that came before us. Their decisions made a difference and the decisions being made today may be of equal importance.
I feel the only way to effectively teach SS is to incorporate current events into the class daily. I really haven't found any other way to get my students to care about economics, civics, and geography without connecting it to their lives. Also, I'm amazed how often the history lessons of any given day connect with the stories in the news that day.
Also, keeping up with current events each day keeps ME from getting bored with my class. It is fun to learn with the kids and they like to keep me up to date on stories we have talked about in class.
It doesn't matter if they forget some of the historical facts from their classes. It matters if students leave school thinking SS is boring and has no relevance for them. We want them to become active citizens when they are adults - don't turn them off when they are 15!

No comments:

Post a Comment